1)heya and upādeya : what is to be laid aside and what is to be held close
What do you need to set aside and what do you need to hold close? Write down three things.
3)Dinacharya – Daily Routine- I list some suggestions below. Decide whats best for you in addition to practice suggestions outlined in the course.
create your sacred space to sit
no social media scrolling
no screens an hour before bedtime
wake with sun 🙂
read spiritual books
Prioritizing yourself will benefit all beings that you interact with and all beings everywhere
whole food – not about restriction all about nourishment (gluten free or dairy free or no coffee)
3) Practice sitting still with the video or audio file attached below
4)Monday Yoga Class
Monday Yoga Class Recording (will remain live for one week)
Topic: Move & Mediate – 4/25/22
Date: Apr 25, 2022 08:31 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Access Passcode: X1j$NsNg
A couple of things to support you during the challenge:
Kitchari Recipe from Minimalist Baker (I’ll offer some healthy recipes throughout the challenge – feel free to share your favorites with me so I can share with the group)
I recommend purchasing both the audio and hardcopy of these books.
The Recognition Sutras, Hareesh Wallis
1)Practice the practice taught today with the video above or the audio file below or with the description(also below) and no media guide.
2) Contemplate your own motive prayer/pure sankalpa. What is the true expression of your heart’s desire to practice?
Description of today’s Practice – broken up into three parts
1)5 minutes sit still try to relax into the stillness(more advanced 7-10mins)
2)3-5 minutes 4 part breath practice (box or rectangle)- remember only to hold the breath as long as there isn’t any tension. If holding after the exhale is too challenging, drop that hold and only retain the breath at the top of the inhale. If tension still remains, go back to filling the two “bowls” and emptying them without a hold (the practice from day 1).
3)1-2 minute open sit be with your whole experience
Lemon Ginger Turmeric Dressing
Makes about 1/2 cup
•Juice from 2 large organic lemons, approximately 1/4 cup of fresh juice
•1″ fresh ginger, skin removed
•1 garlic clove
•2 teaspoon ground turmeric or about 2″ fresh turmeric root
•3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
•1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
•1/4 teaspoon black pepper
•Salt to taste
1Place all ingredients in a blender and mix until combined. Adjust seasoning as necessary. Pour over your favorite salad, protein, or roasted vegetables.
1)Do a second meditation practice incorporating the Body Awareness Practice from today’s session- you can use the video or mp3 attached below as your guide.
2)Contemplate your motive for practice if you didn’t do that yesterday. Come up with a one sentence sankalpa/intention for your spiritual practice if you don’t already have one. Here is the example I gave yesterday:
May I practice out of love for myself out of a desire to know the truth for the benefit of all beings
3) First thing tomorrow morning wake up in a place of inquiry – sukumāra – “who am I today?” “who is my partner today?” “who is my client or coworker today?” Relinquish your idea that the world and its contents are static.
Bonus: Link for 15 min core focusedyoga practice – https://vimeo.com/345989947/05e35fae57
Homework – Choose One:
- Second Meditation – use the video above or it could be a 5 min body awareness or 5 min open sit – make it doable. Body awareness is a daily practice. We would like to work toward an effortless and genuine experience of loving awareness for the body.
- Listen to the audio file below. It is Thich Nat Hanh reading “Please Call Me by My True Names”
- Contemplate First Order Reality which is everything you experience before you have a thougth about it. Slow down, get quiet, notice what is actually happening instead of your thoughts about what is happening. I can explain this more for those who missed the call.
Hmwk – Choose One
1)Second Meditation practice – If you’d like you can use the mp3 below as a guide. Try to sit for 20 minutes if you are not using the mp3 as a guide.
2) If you purchasedThe Recognition Sutras, I encourage you to read the few pages that make up Chapter 17 and take 10 minutes to contemplate.
Hmwk – Choose One
1)Do one of the meditation practices from the first week of the challenge.
2) Practice yoga – There is a Link below to today’s practice. I had unstable wifi so I dropped out of the class for a minute in the beginning and also again about 40 mins in. I included another 20 minute yoga practice focused on tech neck (above) in case your prefer a more polished presentation and a shorter practice :).
Topic: Intention – 4/30/33
Start Time: Apr 30, 2022 08:59 AM
Access Passcode: r5eE9@%*
MEDITATE – You can use the recording below or the video above or create your own using these guidelines:
Set a timer for 24 minutes (or 12minutes if 24minutes feels like too much) begin by sitting still and practicing body awareness (5 mins or less) then practice Visarga or another technique that you learned this week, then dissolve into Being With What Is, then dissolve into Open Sitting, close the practice with attention to your whole body cultivating a sense of gratitude and love if that is possible or gently place your hands all over your body.
1)MEDITATE – Set a timer for 24 minutes (or 12minutes if 24minutes feels like too much) begin by sitting still and practicing body awareness (5 mins or less) then practice Visarga or another technique that you learned this week, then dissolve into Being With What Is, then dissolve into Open Sitting, close the practice with attention to your whole body cultivating a sense of gratitude and love if that is possible or gently place your hands all over your body.
2) Practice Yoga – link below
Topic: Move & Mediate – 5/2/22
Start Time: May 2, 2022 08:29 AM
Access Passcode: FArA^wY3
MEDITATE – Try the Side Channel practice for your second sit. The audio file is downloadable below. Perhaps add it to your longer practice.
Move your Body. Here is a short 15 Min core focused yoga practice you can use:
Micro Meditation – do a short 5-10min meditation. Perhaps use the recording below.
5-10mins of Second Attention Practice – During one of your simple daily activities i.e. washing dishes or walking, do one of the practices that you know well. Visarga is a great practice to do. But most of the practices we have done together will work. So this is an “eyes open” practice.
Take the practice from today’s session for a walk. Use the mantra “Om Namah Shivaya” or your mantra (if you have one) as a second attention practice.
Tomorrow and Sunday morning wake up with the mantra. Repeat it to yourself as you transition from waking to sleeping. Remind yourself also of your healthy habits that you intended to embody throughout the challenge. We are past the halfway mark and its a good time to recommit to your sankalpa.
There is no mp3 file for today’s session.
Practice yoga. Class above
Second Sit or 2 Micro Meditations (which are the shorter practices 5mins at a time) or Second Attention Practice.
Contemplate the following Sutra:
“The individual conscious being, as a contraction of the universal Awareness, consists of the entire universe in a microcosmic form.”
Sutra 4 The Recognition Sutras Translated by Hareesh Wallis
Spend ten minutes sitting with a sutra. You can choose the one above or another one that inspires you; possibly from Tantra Illuminated or from your favorite poet or someone you know to be an awakened being.
- Read sutra slowly three times
- Then sit with its vibration. Thoughts may come. Don’t hold onto the intellectual comprehension or thoughts. Simply allow whatever arises to arise.
- Drop into the place of inquiry: What experience of reality might give rise to this sutra?
- Experiential contemplation instead of intellectual contemplation – it isn’t about whether you believe the sentence or not.
Monday Yoga Practice Link:
Topic: Move & Mediate – 5/9/22
Date: May 9, 2022 08:31 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Access Passcode: 4*%hTGGZ
- Continue your contemplation from yesterday. Use the contemplation instructions on the pdf below from Chapter 4 of The Recognition Sutras by Hareesh Wallis as your guide.
- Japa mala practice or the more esoteric Japa- remembering your essence nature several times throughout the day as a micro meditation or second attention practice.
- Practice Yoga nidra with the mp3 below.
Lisa Feldman Barrett Ted Talk (if you haven’t already watched it)
Below is the mp3 practice for today. It is 20 minute practice focused on the Uccāra practice we did on Wednesday. Please do it at our regular meeting time.
1)Revisit a practice that you have only done one time. Choose from any of the practices from the challenge.
2) Above is a yoga practice you can do in addition to your meditation practice.
- Practice yoga with the video above (if you didn’t join class in real time use this morning)
- Meditate a full practice either 12 mins or 24 mins using any of the techniques from the challenge.
We made it! Day 21! Thank you for your commitment. Keep practicing.